Saturday 9 April 2011

Dawn Patrol bollocking

Heavy winds for the foreseeable future (or so it appeared last night)....except for a window of opportunity this morning between 4 and 10 a.m., so I grabbed the time, taking off at 07:20, only to get a very tactful bollocking when I came down an hour later, as I had broken the out-of-hours restrictions, which limit take-offs to between 08:30 and 21:00. If I'd known about that I'd have thought twice about Great Oakley, as I love dawn and dusk flying, but I mustn't complain as I am flying far more frequently now.

I climbed to 1,000 much more quickly than in recent flights, then turned and headed downwind to Mistley, then back up the river again. I climbed to 3,000, where the wind was stronger and had backed, so that I barely felt I was moving, but tentatively tested the down-wind scuttle (occasionally turning back), selected an emergency field on the bank of the Stour, then made my crossing ...but there was no way I was going to make sufficient progress to get to the Orwell Bridge, so flew south, a bit, along the coast and back home.....to change my radio battery. (Must charge both of them).

I went up again at about 09:00 for 35mins, then landed to do some maintenance. With Doug there to lend an expert hand, I adjusted some wires which were twisting and adjusted my tick-over so that the plane now idles at 3,000 revs. It sounds sweet.

Looks like I might get an hour or two in tomorrow, mid to late afternoon.This is already looking like a great school holiday :)

No comments: