Thursday 30 September 2010

Carburetter maintenance

Click on images to see them more clearly

Referring to a drawing provided by Bruce Hatton at Bailey's, I took my carb apart to clean any possible fuel varnish out of my jets. Though they appeared to be clean, I soaked them in Wynns carb cleaner for about three hours (overkill perhaps, but I had no idea how long a "good length of time" was). I sprayed all other parts and let them drip dry.

Opinions differ about whether you should EVER stick anything in a carb jet, but on Bruce's advice I used a fine strand of brass taken from a cheap BBQ brush, bought for the purpose at a hardware shop. (I pulled the strands out with pliers and now have a supply in a 35mm film pot). The thing about brass is that it is a soft metal, so ought not to scratch the surface of the jets, while still being useful to remove any stubborn deposits or flecks. The brush strands are zig-zaggy, which makes them a tiny bit more abrasive. I did this with great care.

When everything seemed clean (time will tell), I dried everything completely with compressed air, which I also powered through the jets to make sure there was nothing at all left in them, then reassembled the carburetter.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Looking at the pictures I would say almost certainly your problem isn't varnish deposits. Have you seen a varnish deposited Carb? It's a mess!.
http://www.cyclemaintenance.com/mechicscorner/cb750_carbs.htm (example)
You may need to look at stuff like those vacuum connections. Where does that other connection go from the tee piece on that odd coloured tube? Poor vacuum can really mess the mixture around.

Also you never did reply regarding your octane and what the engine is set for? Standard setting =98ron.

Cable end you could get it twisted neatly then lead solder it, and needle file off any excess. I wonder if your getting these replies as none evident on site? I'll email it to you direct also. Good luck getting her running right.

Tinworm said...

this is the only comment I have got which I have not posted before, Colin. Thanks for advice