Saturday 25 December 2010

bugger bugger bugger

all rigged and ready to go and the blinking battery discharged in seconds; guess I need a new one (and a spare)

got my trickle charger here but doubt I can take on enough as it is a slow charger.

damn

not happy


..............

Update

After an hour and a quarter I thought I'd give it a short burst and then go home; didn't hold out much hope of having enough charge in the battery to start up, but never say never. So, without putting my suit on, I pulled on a motorbike helmet, strapped in and tried it. And she fired up! But after 30seconds she died and wouldn't re-start.

But that has given me hope. So, though I know it seems idiotic, I am charging the battery again in the hope of being able to fit in at least one circuit before sun-down. I don't like the idea that it cut out again...but at least it is possible to get enough charge in an hour to fire up. There is a chance now, which is more than I thought I had an hour ago.

Just as well I brought a book and have the computer here in the clubhouse to keep me amused.

Final Update
No, I couldn't start it.

That's it, I am selling it. I live too far away from the hangar to do work on her regularly, and if I am going to take her home, as I did tonight, I might as well keep her at home and fly closer to home....or sell her. But I am sick of the down-time. It is too expensive and frustrating.

I packed up the trike to bring it home and rewire the battery connections.

.

2 comments:

Niels R. said...

Didn't you have jumpstart cables in your car? Or is the battery of that Dragonfly not a 12V one?

Cheers,
Niels

Tinworm said...

I did try jump starting. But couldnt get my car close enough battery-to-battery without getting too close to the propeller.

There was also a problem with the fact that the terminals on the Dragonfly are very small indeed! It is necessary to do something I did subsequently, which was make a couple of large nut+bolt terminals:

http://tinworm-wings.blogspot.com/search?q=jump+start

though I never used them. In fact, after that I bought two spare batteries which I kept charged.

I also made a point of priming the engine by blowing into a syphon to raise the fuel by atmospheric pressure in the tank. Raising the fuel in a drained system used a lot of a battery's power.